For now, sure. ...and that's my point. Now Softimage is still competitive for most scenarios, but all the others are evolving while Softimage is locked in time.

You can probably stay competitive with it for a few more years, but the day will come where the number of scenarios this is true will drastically shrink. Clients will start asking for you to handle scenes with millions of objects that weight billions of polygons... or maybe it won't even be polygons anymore. There will be this new geometry format that everyone has switched over because you can do amazingly complex things with it, but Softimage won't be able to manage that. Imagine Softimage can only do nurbs while all other softwares have adopted polygons. Who knows what new technology is around the corner, but you'll never have access to it. How long would you think you can stay competitive working with outdated technology?

Then you will have to turn down that contract, and then more contracts and eventually you'll barely have any more contracts. Then you'll have to learn a new tool and you'll have years of new technologies to familiarize yourself with. The learning curve will be incredibly more steep and you might need to go back to school to learn all that stuff you should have learned years ago.

All I am saying is to look farther then the next couple gigs and prepare yourself for the future. Now I don't care if you want to stick with Softimage as long as you can. That's your choice. Sooner or later, reality will catch up to you. You won't be able to compete with everyone else. You'll have no choice but to learn these new tools to become competitive again and you will simply have that much more work to do to get back up to speed on the new tools currently available. You can wait until your back is against the wall or you can prepare yourself by slowly learning new tools and staying up to date with what's available.

On 25/10/2017 5:20 PM, Sven Constable wrote:

The thing is, you don't have to be freaking amazing to be competitive with XSI. In fact you can easily compete, taking a break and playing banjo while doing the work. Maybe not in vfx but with usual 3d.

*From:*softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com [mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] *On Behalf Of *Mathieu Leclaire
*Sent:* Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:02 PM
*To:* Official Softimage Users Mailing List. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__groups.google.com_forum_-23-21forum_xsi-5Flist&d=DwIDaQ&c=76Q6Tcqc-t2x0ciWn7KFdCiqt6IQ7a_IF9uzNzd_2pA&r=GmX_32eCLYPFLJ529RohsPjjNVwo9P0jVMsrMw7PFsA&m=RoNi5IeEHwl7kyWd6s1oiwvah-3eIVL1xhRX2sNW3uk&s=UTMK4Vx73y_8hRYT4uW65L9Yah6uMXr3fIKfqyhrQU0&e=
*Subject:* Re: Softimage - not going away...

I hear you, but how will you compete for a job when everyone else is using nail guns and you are only using a hammer? If all these new kids can do the job 100x faster then you can, why would they hire you instead? I'm not saying you can't do a good job with a hammer, but it'll take more time so you'll need to charge more money to compensate. You better make sure you're freaking amazing with that hammer if you want them to come back to you.