On 10/25/17 17:01, Mathieu Leclaire wrote:
I hear you, but how will you compete for a job when everyone else is using nail guns and you are only using a hammer? If all these new kids can do the job 100x faster then you can, why would they hire you instead? I'm not saying you can't do a good job with a hammer, but it'll take more time so you'll need to charge more money to compensate. You better make sure you're freaking amazing with that hammer if you want them to come back to you.

There is no doubt that becoming at least familiar if not functional in a variety of solutions can be good practice and a goo measure (if only for eventually down the line),
The same goes for in general staying aware of the current state of things.

But If we are still having this conversation almost 5 years post eol,
if only it was -mostly- about the force of habit or "comfort zones".

Or if even after serious evaluations and experiences, despite reduced talent base and a number of other obstacles, XSI continues to persists, I'd hardly think it's due to stubborn muscle memory...  but mostly -because- of the main "problem" being :: XSI quite arguably remains the nail gun in a great number of situations by a still pretty considerable margin.

There is no doubt capability to do anything in alternatives are there,
(or even more capability or depth in some areas, -sometimes- more performance in raw FPS, or sometimes not)
but similarly, if only the "speed of XSI" had to do with raw FPS, as opposed to general "no-brainer-ism" or fixing things by merly fiddling a little, or how in both time or requirements to get from A to B in real life scenarios, can often be more efficient by like a factor of 10 (without exaggeration), with little to no compromise in terms of flexibility (mostly approachable).

In other words, in many fronts has XSI been the computer, and we've been waiting for typewriters to first get lamps before getting solid-state micro switchers.

Or creation in general in XSI -- like modeling?, rigging? shading? scene/render management?  procedural process authoring? (all still major parts of doing CG last time I checked)
all remain comparatively quite a bit more intuitive, "direct", an reliable.
(which I must admit may contribute to making XSI really comfortable)

And I think that will only change once exactly that situation would considerably change.
(H v22? ... maybe?)
That, or once XSI would physically stop working, whichever comes first (at this pace, it seems the latter would come first, while not likely being anytime soon).

You know the old saying that "XSI has really good <<workflow>>"
to this day relative to other solutions, we didn't know how good Softimage "workflow" really was, until lots of us started to look at other workflows.

In any event, you're an artist looking for jobs? learn what is the most used out there.
If you're a shop or freelancer, and have the privilege and or possibility of working with Soft while it's possible, -- apart that you are benefiting from what is lined-up to be quite possibly if not probably a one in a lifetime thing (or a one time only cumulative combinations of things together at once), -- I think it's also beneficial for the entire CG arena as it's already been to a quite large degree, since keeping it alive also contributes to sustaining what continues to be a definite reference, giving rise to all sorts of constructive comparisons, ending-up being mostly around general usability and around ... --workflow--.

Anyhoo,
Cheers!
-J