This issue came up years ago while working with Jim Bell of Marriott Corp on
one of their assisted living facilities a 13R that I have always used the
same logic since then, and applied it to 13D as well. (1992) At that time
Marriott had about 2 fires per year in sauna's, typically caused by bottles
of body oil or towels placed over the heater. Jim's requirement was to
sprinkler all sauna's using 300+ degree heads as the emergency cut out for
sauna controls is typically set in the high 200'F range. We currently
install 360'F TYCO TY-B either 2.8K or 5.6K depending upon room size. (Yes I
know they are STD response, but as we discussed at the time, in a 8x10 room,
any protection is better than none, and Std response Vs. QR will be a matter
of only a second or two, with the ambient already over 100'F.) 286'F heads
are ok if your emergency cut off is set lower than 236'F, which I've never
found one that low. That's what we do and AHJ's only need to hear this logic
once to accept it.

Steam rooms, same source at Marriott, "What can burn? Tile walls, floors and
ceiling, in a basic "Mist" system." Now Marriott used steel studs
everywhere, so if your steam room is framed with wood and you have the steam
generator in the typical under bench location, what we've done is put a head
in that space, again high temp. If the people or wet towels "spontaneously
combust" in a steam room not much a sprinkler can do to save them.

I'd like to hear what others are thinking. 200'F heads will go off way too
often, 286'F may never go off if the emergency cut out is never needed, but
I know that if a 360'F head goes off, it's either a fire or mechanical
damage.



Thom McMahon, SET
Firetech, Inc.
2560 Copper Ridge Dr
P.O. Box 882136
Steamboat Springs, CO 80488
Tel:  970-879-7952
Fax: 970-879-7926


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Bob Knight
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 4:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 13D Sauna/Steam Rooms

I am working on a 13D that has a sauna and steam room.  What temp sprinklers
should I use, and is it permissible to use QR instead of Residential?   I'm
thinking that I will need high temp heads and residentials only go up to
175F, at least the ones that I'm familiar with.

Thanks,

Bob Knight, CET
1660 Hill Rd
Melba, Idaho 83641
(208) 318-3057
(208) 495-2057 fax
[email protected]
www.firebyknight.com

-------------- next part --------------

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.91/2363 - Release Date: 09/11/09
09:15:00 _______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to