Well, seems you've thrown a stone or two at a major manufacturer, while
saying you'd trust it more if it came from a reputable engineering house.

Ok, can you define reputable engineering house? 90% or more of the
"engineering houses" issuing sealed FP dwgs for us to bid from could be used
as evidence to take away their licenses for practicing outside their area of
expertise. 

There's a large, and some would say "reputable", engineering house I've
heard others describe as "gun for hire" since the results of their studies
seem to echo the needs and desires of those that hire them. What empirical
criteria could we develop to measure "reputable". If we were writing code,
we'd call that unenforceable language. Maybe the one experience I have with
a firm you believe to be reputable because you deal with their Dallas office
(full of all-stars) and I dealt with a trainee from NJ office who screwed
up. Are they reputable? As I say about a major competitor, with 12,000
employees, they can't all be all-stars. (btw, I own stock in that company
and compete against it, so I guess I can still say things about it since
technically I'm an owner?)

Any of us whom employ humans are going to have errors. Remove humans and
rely on Hal and the pc instead? Don't think that's the answer. So we set a
metric for accuracy? How determined, what track record, etc???

Just like the new technology data sheets, unless we're going to replicate
the testing or try a new wrinkle, we're going to put faith in the UL listing
or the FM process, we really don't have a choice. Making decisions by the
seat of your pants may- or may not- be a better solution.

The fluid delivery software for dry systems is not limited to Quell
Licensees, its available and Tyco may again be running calcs for folks on a
system by system basis, so you don't need to buy the software, just pay em
to run the calc. We've occasionally run calcs for others although we usually
don't have the time to spare from our main focus- our jobs. The Quell
version is modified for "stuff" but anyone can buy the plain-jane version
for dry systems.

Understand I'm a capitalist and support the concept of being able to take an
idea, invest resources in it, bring it to market, and if it succeeds in the
market, you profit from it. I like to think its what we did with our firm.
Every other sprinkler manufacturer could do the same thing. Nothing was
preventing reputable (or not) engineering houses from developing the same
thing. 

That manufacturer also has the rest of their suite of software for sprinkler
work, and they compete well against Hydratech and others day to day. So this
is not their only software offering, just one that's currently an exclusive.

glc

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Thom McMahon
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:38 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: DRY SYSTEMS FOR DUMMIES

Sorry but that sounds both Snooty and Arrogant.
Have you verified the engineering used for any other products you may spec.
by any MFG of fire protection products?
How about if this PHD. Happened to be the one who taught you engineering?
Would you then accept his work?
If it really bothers you since you work for what I assume is a "Reputable
Engineering Firm" Write your own program. You could work on it nights, and
then you'd have a nice cushion for retirement.

If it wasn't by us it can't be any good!

I don't pretend to know the math, but I put faith in UL and TYCO and their
Insurer's. (Wonder if they are an AIG company?) In which case your tax
dollars are what's backing up this program.

Thom McMahon, SET
Firetech, Inc.
2560 Copper Ridge Dr
P.O. Box 882136
Steamboat Springs, CO 80488
Tel:  970-879-7952
Fax: 970-879-7926



Not so sound snooty or arrogant 
All I am saying is I would have a lot more faith in a
water delivery time program if it came from a reputable engineering firm
rather than a manufacturer of sprinkler equipment.       

Jim Johnston, P.E.
field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to