Different solutions to the same problem.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Sprinkler Academy - C Bilbo
<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> Carrol,
>
> Definitely hang your hat on the "New Technology" section in NFPA 13.
> 1.6 New Technology.
> 1.6.1 Nothing in this standard shall be intended to restrict new technologies 
> or alternate arrangements, provided the
> level of safety prescribed by this standard is not lowered.
>
> Using a newer standard is a new technology or alternate arrangement and it 
> would be easy to show that newer standards improve the level of safety 
> prescribed by previous editions.
>
> As preparation in your discussion, you should know the history of the change 
> that happened from 2002 to 2007.  During the Proposal Phase in 2004, a 
> current member of the AFSA Board of Directors and former Fire Marshal in 
> Fairfax, VA submitted a proposal to the NFPA 13 Committee.  In ROP 13-726, 
> Jack Medovich, a Professional Engineer, asked that the annex include language 
> pointing directly to the "design area" of the small room rule for residential 
> calc's.  He felt that this was always allowed but wanted it to be included as 
> specific guidance in the annex.  The NFPA 13 Committee accepted his idea and 
> changed the language of the annex.
>
> In 2005, Ken Isman of the NFSA, a Fellow of the Society of Fire Protection 
> Engineers, submitted a Comment that incorporated that change into the body of 
> the standard.  In ROC 13-276, his Comment consolidated many of the Chapter 11 
> changes made during the ROP and he cites each ROP Log within his Comment. One 
> of the things the Committee accepted was moving Jack's change into the body 
> of NFPA 13.
>
> In my thinking, this makes the Committee's intent for new technology very 
> clear.  I look forward to hearing how this comes out for you.
>
> And would someone please help me find that electron? I know it's there but 
> every time I look it's someplace else!
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
> Cecil Bilbo
> Academy of Fire Sprinkler Technology
> Champaign, IL
> www.sprinkleracademy.com
>
> [email protected]
>
>
>
>> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 08:28:50 -0700
>> From: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: Residential "Room Design Method"?
>> To: [email protected]
>>
>> Guys,
>>
>> So sorry to have left you hanging last night!  I got word from my AHJ last
>> evening, that "he (the department) have adopted 2002 and so to please submit 
>> new
>> calcs based on 8.4.5.1 and 8.4.5.1 of the 2002 edition."   AAAAUGGGGGHHHH!!!
>> I then proceeded to my favorite watering hole for some "inspiration"of my 
>> own...
>>
>> In response to your earlier question, Cecil, you are correct, the "small room
>> rule" was exactly what I was looking for.  I only have a 2002 with me here at
>> home and I should have checked the 2007, where I would have found the 
>> provision
>> in 8.6.2.1.2. (ok, maybe I would have found it... : )
>>
>> But now, new question.... It has always been my understanding that you can 
>> cite
>> from newer editions but never backward.  Can I use 1.5 or 1.6 from 2002 to 
>> help
>> persuade the AHJ to accept 11.3.1.2 from 2007, the newer edition?  Any other
>> ideas on how I convince him?
>>
>> ________________________________
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
> For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>



-- 
Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering Technology
Bates Technical College
1101 So. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405

[email protected]

http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/

253.680.7346
253.576.9700 (cell)

Member:
AFSA, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, NFSA, AFAA, ASEE, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC

They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis
Bacon, essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to