On 2008-04-18 18:01, Rick Morrison wrote:
>> Reading this thread, I keep wondering why you are trying to put
>> all that connection setup configuration into the connection string...
>>
>> Such setting are normally configured in the odbc.ini file and then
>> you just reference data source name in the connection string.
>>
>> That's the standard way of using ODBC and the reason why you
>> have ODBC managers with nice setup GUIs. A DSN-less setup
>> like the one created by SA bypasses the ODBC manager
>> configuration.
>>

> Only via an option: DSN connections have been supported for some time via
> the 'dsn' keyword, the OP seems to either not want that or can't get it to
> work.

I know, but this should be the default rather than an option.

>> SA should really adapt to the ODBC standard of using data source
>> names, as it moves the connection configuration where it should be:
>> Into the scope of the ODBC manager you are using to configure your
>> ODBC drivers.
>

> SA already has a de-facto standard using a db-uri scheme that works with
> non-ODBC datasources as well. It makes sense for ODBC compliant SA database
> drivers to conform to that form, not to just displace it and force a
> config-file style of setup.

The DSN style setup fits in nicely with the URI scheme... just use
the host part of the URI as data source name - after all, the
ODBC manager will "connect" to the data source and not the
database itself.

Setting up an ODBC driver via the existing GUI tools is a lot
easier and less error prone than trying to figure out all
the different options and trying to put them into your
connection string. The direct approach should really only
be the last resort for very special cases.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 23 2008)