On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 7:07 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  On 2008-04-18 18:01, Rick Morrison wrote:
>  >> Reading this thread, I keep wondering why you are trying to put
>  >> all that connection setup configuration into the connection string...
>  >>
>  >> Such setting are normally configured in the odbc.ini file and then
>  >> you just reference data source name in the connection string.
>  >>
>  >> That's the standard way of using ODBC and the reason why you
>  >> have ODBC managers with nice setup GUIs. A DSN-less setup
>  >> like the one created by SA bypasses the ODBC manager
>  >> configuration.
>  >>
>  >
>  > Only via an option: DSN connections have been supported for some time via
>  > the 'dsn' keyword, the OP seems to either not want that or can't get it to
>  > work.
>
>  I know, but this should be the default rather than an option.
>

>  >> SA should really adapt to the ODBC standard of using data source
>  >> names, as it moves the connection configuration where it should be:
>  >> Into the scope of the ODBC manager you are using to configure your
>  >> ODBC drivers.
>  >
>  >
>  > SA already has a de-facto standard using a db-uri scheme that works with
>  > non-ODBC datasources as well. It makes sense for ODBC compliant SA database
>  > drivers to conform to that form, not to just displace it and force a
>  > config-file style of setup.
>
>  The DSN style setup fits in nicely with the URI scheme... just use
>  the host part of the URI as data source name - after all, the
>  ODBC manager will "connect" to the data source and not the
>  database itself.
>
>  Setting up an ODBC driver via the existing GUI tools is a lot
>  easier and less error prone than trying to figure out all
>  the different options and trying to put them into your
>  connection string. The direct approach should really only
>  be the last resort for very special cases.

Well,
Based on :

"These tests showed that DSN-less connections were slightly faster
than System DSN connections. The increase in performance was nothing
monumental; the greatest performance boost was a mere 13% faster with
64 concurrent requests. For one, two, or four concurrent requests,
there was virtually no performance improvement. In fact, no noticeable
improvement is seen in a DSN-less connection over a System DSN until
there are 10 or more concurrent connections."

Also, I don't know how things work in hosted environments but if they
charge for setting up system dsn then that might be another reason to
use dsn-less connection.

Also porting an application that that uses dsn-less connection is
easier then porting an application that requires system dsn to be
setup.

Lucas