On Apr 23, 2008, at 8:07 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> The DSN style setup fits in nicely with the URI scheme... just use
> the host part of the URI as data source name - after all, the
> ODBC manager will "connect" to the data source and not the
> database itself.
>
> Setting up an ODBC driver via the existing GUI tools is a lot
> easier and less error prone than trying to figure out all
> the different options and trying to put them into your
> connection string. The direct approach should really only
> be the last resort for very special cases.

Hi Marc -

for those of us without access to ODBC toolsets, can you illustrate an
example of how this URL would look ?   Using DSN within the "host"
section seems fine to me, as long as it can be disambiguated from
other non-DSN tokens that might be present there (i.e., when using
pyodbc or mxODBC, is a DSN the *only* kind of host identifier you'd
ever use?)

- mike