On 2008-05-27 17:28, Michael Bayer wrote:

> On May 27, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Rick Morrison wrote:
>
>>> To be honest I thought this was how we were doing it, but
>>> (incredulously) looking at the source I see theres a "dsn" keyword
>>> argument in there ?!?
> What's the argument for "DSN" as the official keeper of the "host"
> part as opposed to an actual "host"  ?  Would it be because in ODBC,
> "DSN" is *supposed* to be the primary identifier for how to get to a
> host ?  That's a fairly strong argument for me.

Yes.

DSNs refer to logical database connections in the ODBC manager
configuration. They don't necessarily map to hosts on the network -
indeed, it's well possible that the database runs on the same machine
and you connect to it via shared memory or pipes. OTOH, it's also
possible to have to connection setups for the same host, e.g. one
setup as read-only connection and the other as read-write connection.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 23 2008)