I've been involved in several "real-world" projects that use Struts.

> Our project goal is to create an application which is leaning a little
> towards web-based group-ware applications in terms of feature set. No,
> we are not creating e-mail/calendar/task-list/foobar portal, but our app
> will include some of the basic group-ware app features and share quite
> many characteristics (different types of calendars come to mind).
>
> We would like our application to support at least hundreds of concurrent
> users. What kind of issues does this arise in terms of hardware and
> software/application configurations? How many users per app server would
> be feasible and how to handle multi-server environment gracefully? How
> is caching supported or implemented in Struts?

One of the projects takes several million hits a week with thousands of
concurrent users.  Struts handles it fine.

No, caching is not implemented in Struts.  Struts at it's core is a Page
Controller (see Patterns for Enterprise Application Architecture by Martin
Fowler for a good description) with some very handy extras.  The other
layers (data access etc) are provided by other technologies (see
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/preface.html#layers), some of
which provide caching.

> What do you think are the fundamental issues to focus on design &
> development? And if you think, based on my very poor description of
> requirements, that Struts may not be the right framework, what are the
> alternatives?

Struts is definitely the framework to use, although there are some other
alternatives.
I would recommend giving your team a week or two to play with Struts (and
any other new technologies you choose) before you throw them into the thick
of it.  I often hear people complaining that Struts is confusing (with all
the configuration files etc), but once you get over the initial shock it's
well worth it.  You'll never want to go back.

I would recommend reading the Patterns for Enterprise Application
Architecture book if you need to brush up on any of this.  It's an excellent
resource and a very informative read.

> Best regards,
>
> --
> Lauri Jutila