Lauri Jutila wrote:

We would like our application to support at least hundreds of concurrent
users. What kind of issues does this arise in terms of hardware and
software/application configurations? How many users per app server would
be feasible

2,000 concurent users to 4,000 concurent users per server is what I normaly get (tested using OpenSTA on 1U NewISys 2100 class machine - about $4,000 US with Resin app. server and J:Rockit Java VM)

and how to handle multi-server environment gracefully?

I use sticky bit at CISCO (there are other ways to sticky bit) so users allways go to same server for the session. (In unlikely case server dies, users get a new session on another box... I do not complicate with replication, since each save gets saved to db).
Most DAO's have distributed caching (Hibrenate, iBatis) and iBatis.com dblayer's distributed caching for flushing works great. iMagine you are caching some db content, and one of the servers update it. It's auto flushed and you get a new cache!

How
is caching supported or implemented in Struts?

I assume data caching? Data caching is done in the Model layer by the DAO. Doing caching in V or C is ... not Struts.
As far as caching of content by Akamai... a portal I think assumes dynamic content, so you can't realy use them. (That is only for MS SharePoint users... SLOW)

What do you think are the fundamental issues to focus on design &
development?
3 things are key:
1. Requriments
2. Requriments
3. Requriments

And if you think, based on my very poor description of
requirements, that Struts may not be the right framework, what are the
alternatives?

Struts is the most popular framework in production and has excelent support. It is default and known, other ones might add risk.

Consider http://www.infonoia.com/en/basicportal.jsp, it is open source portal, they are in Europe (a distributor of bP) and might be able to assist with an example. (They are about to deploy 900 CPU portal)

hth,

--
Victor Cekvenich,
Struts Instructor

Advanced Struts Training
<http://basebeans.com/do/cmsPg?content=TRAINING> Server Side Java
training with Rich UI, mentoring, designs, samples and project recovery
in North East.
Simple best practice basic Portal, a Struts CMS, Membership, Forums,
Shopping and Credit processing, <http://basicportal.com> software, ready
to develop/customize; requires a db to run.