If it's any help, I have been working on a rather large application which
was primarily written using 'plain' JSP and this is exactly what happened.
The developers ended up making endless, buggy, incomplete variants of things
that exist in Struts.   The level of re-use in the web presentation layer
was not acceptable to me.

I am currently considering creating any new web UI features using Struts,
and refactoring some of the old code as well.

[snip]