Terry R. wrote:
On 3/28/2010 6:17 PM On a whim, Beauregard T. Shagnasty pounded out on
the keyboard

Terry R. wrote:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Terry R. wrote:
I can compose an HTML document (and of course depending on how
extreme the formatting is), and the size won't be much more than
10%-20% of it's plain text counterpart.  And zero errors.
You might be able to do that, Terry, (and so could I) but most HTML
email clients sure can't.  Do you get email from, say, yahoo mail
users? A one or two sentence message runs around 13-16KB usually.
Here's a small snippet from a four-sentence message I got yesterday
via yahoogroups.
[snip code]

The 302 lines of *styling* were in a second<head>    section after all
the HTML and content!  Oh, and viewing the email in HTML, it is just
the four lines in the Georgia font. No other formatting was applied
by the sender.
I can't speak for Yahoo mail, and I don't know anyone that uses it
offhand.

Really?  I'd say about 20-25% of the mail I get comes from yahoo.

I just searched my AB.  One Yahoo user.

But I was responding directly to David's comment of,

"If a 1 MB plain-text message were instead composed as an
HTML-formatted message, the result would be approximately 4.6 MB.
And it would likely have approximately 21,000 HTML syntax errors."

Heh, I'm sure that was a misuse of MB .. where he meant KB (which would
be about right, a typical 4 to 1 ratio. The email I cited has 67 words
(357 bytes), and from Yahoo needed 13 Kilobytes of HTML.

Or he may just have been exaggerating for fun.

and I believe he overstated the numbers quite a bit.  Maybe if the
email was sent as PT&   HTML using Word, but not just HTML, and not
the error count either.

Ewww. Word, as the editor for OE, does a *terrible* job of HTML.

Couldn't agree more.

Terry R.

In DreamWeaver they is even a menu item for "Fix Word HTML" :-)

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com