Interviewed by CNN on 16/06/2011 22:44, Rufus told the world:

That's simply not true.  I have the Atomic browser installed on my iPad
and like it...and there are others.

Atomic is not a full browser either. It does not include its own rendering engine, but uses the iOS Safari one. Essentially, it's Safari with a different skin.

Let me repeat: Apple does not allow another rendering engine on iOS. You won't get a Gecko browser, like Firefox or Seamonkey, there. You won't even get a different spin of Webkit, such as Google Chrome.

Developing any sort of application which overlaps in functionality
Apple's official ones is chancy at best. You have no idea if they will
allow the app to be distributed, or if your investment is going to go
down the drain.

...as in any business venture.

Failure to make a profit because you can't convince people to pay for your product is a normal risk. Failure to make a profit because you are not allowed to sell your product for unclear reasons is not a normal risk.

Yes.  But there are alternatives to distribution other than the App
Store...it would take some thinking, but I can see a way.

Only for jailbroken devices, which are a minority.

--
MCBastos

-=-=-
... Sent from my Apple IIe.
*Added by TagZilla 0.066.2 running on Seamonkey 2.1 *