PhillipJones wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
Rufus schrieb:
It's not really a case of Apple "not allowing it" - it's more a case of
developers embracing, stepping up, and coding. There are a number of
alternative browsers for iPad, the most popular (I can see why) being
the Atomic browser - somewhat SM-like, and far more feature-rich than
Safari on iOS.

None of them is a browser by itself. Apple does NOT allow ANY software
in their store that competes with some software they are providing with
the device theirselves. All those "alternatives" are just Safari with a
different "costume", i.e. some other user interface around it.

...I dunno. I guess we're arguing coding semantics. Atomic is certainly
a "browser" to me, because it browses. And it's functionality and
feature set are vastly different from Safari, it certainly competes with
Safari, I got it from the Apple App Store for 99 cents...and there are
others there. So I don't buy your premise one bit as stated.

Yes, it's platform-specific and uses some platform specific code, but so
do a whole host of other software. I don't have an issue with that from
any standpoint.

But again, the way iOS works I find *far* less utility in the suite
concept when working on my iPad

Well, I'm reasonably sure that communication methods that don't run
inside the browser will be mostly dying out in the next years. But then,
that's just my opinion.

Robert Kaiser

The iPad is certainly the first device I've bought in a very long time
that is actually changing the way I work. I'm sort of dubious about the
approaching Lion OS...I'm not sure I'm going to like some of it's more
"iOS-like" implementations on my desktop, but then again I'm not sure I
won't. Everything changes...what matters more is still being able to
make choices which suits the individual user. More products, more better.

You are aware the only way to get Lion is have a Very good Internet
Connection Perhaps FOIS or better. It will not be sold on DVD. It will
only cost $29.00.

Yes, I am, and I do...my average daily download speed is around 11 Mbps. But I am a bit peeved about the new delivery scheme...but it seems to be a growing trend with just about everything electronic these days - my stereo receiver, my TV, my blue-ray player, all want a broadband connection for firmware update.

Unfortunately with My puny DSL it will take at least 24 hours to download.

I, and a lot of other have protested on the Apple newsgroups. And on the
Feedback Channels are getting red hot to.

I can believe that, and I have to agree with the discontent even though it won't really affect me as far as getting the update goes. But I'm still undecided as to if I *really* want it.

In my Area, High speed anything is just not available. Cable is slow DSL
is Slow and a lot of the people in my area are using Dial up. They just
can't afford otherwise.

Where I live the cable ISP makes DSL look like dialup. DSL service speed here is very dependent on how close you live to the main Verizon hub - all of our cable infrastructure was swapped to fiber about ten years ago - I specifically waited to get on the net until I had fiber laid in my neighborhood and could get a cable modem. Been happy ever since.

--
     - Rufus