MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 16/06/2011 22:44, Rufus told the world:

That's simply not true. I have the Atomic browser installed on my iPad
and like it...and there are others.

Atomic is not a full browser either. It does not include its own
rendering engine, but uses the iOS Safari one. Essentially, it's Safari
with a different skin.

I think you need to look again. Not only does Atomic work and get the job done, it also does tabs. Safari does not do tabs on the iPad.

Let me repeat: Apple does not allow another rendering engine on iOS. You
won't get a Gecko browser, like Firefox or Seamonkey, there. You won't
even get a different spin of Webkit, such as Google Chrome.

Seriously - I don't care what goes on under the hood. If I can browse with it on an iPad, it is a "full browser" to/for me. If Apple wants you to use their rendering engine, then that's just less code you have to write. The fact that it works differently on a different OS is of no consequence to me - that's the nature of any platform.

Developing any sort of application which overlaps in functionality
Apple's official ones is chancy at best. You have no idea if they will
allow the app to be distributed, or if your investment is going to go
down the drain.

...as in any business venture.

Failure to make a profit because you can't convince people to pay for
your product is a normal risk. Failure to make a profit because you are
not allowed to sell your product for unclear reasons is not a normal risk.

SM is given away for free...build it for iOS, charge 99 cents, and I think folks would pay that. But if you're not even up to taking a chance in the first place, then that your issue - not Apple's.

Yes. But there are alternatives to distribution other than the App
Store...it would take some thinking, but I can see a way.

Only for jailbroken devices, which are a minority.

So?..big deal. All depends on what you're after. Personally, I'd go through the App Store on an iOS browser like other are doing.

--
     - Rufus