Sat, 1 Oct 2011 16:09:54 -0700 (PDT), /Ken/:

If I go to Tools, Cookie Manager, Manage Stored Cookies
and enter "localhost" (without the quotes) in the Search Window, no
cookies are returned in the main window.

Whereas if you go to chrome://communicator/content/permissions/cookieViewer.xul
and also search for localhost, it returns over a dozen cookies.

Sorry, I can't reproduce this, but here's a suggestion. The search in the stand-alone Cookie Manager searches on anything - website/domain name, cookie name, cookie value. Could you verify searching for "localhost" does indeed return only cookies for localhost and no other domains, for you?

Likewise when I search for "test.mydomain.com" where mydomain is my
domain URL.

So, if you have noticed the "Domain" list contains only top-level cookie domains like "mydomain.com". Entering "test.mydomain.com" will surely find nothing. Try searching for "mydomain.com". When you select it, the right-hand pane will show the cookies for "mydomain.com" and all subdomains like "test.mydomain.com".

--
Stanimir