Short update about my issues:

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 17:45 -0400, Chris Buechler wrote:
> >  Since the situation has not improved, I'm re-posting this :-(
> >  If you have any idea what I could/should try, it would be very nice...
> >  At the moment I have about 3-4 disconnects per day, and according to the
> >  ISP everything is fine (line, etc.)
>
> Open up /etc/inc/interfaces.inc in Diagnostics -> Edit, and go down to under:
>         set bundle disable multilink
>         set bundle authname "{$pppoecfg['username']}"
>         set bundle password "{$pppoecfg['password']}"
>
> which is line 1242, and add the following line beneath that:
> set bundle no noretry
> Then save the file and reboot. Let us know if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your feedback (and also to David).  I couldn't try the
commands yet because the device was remote and people were working, but
I will keep them around in case the problems are coming back.

Because since about one week, I replaced and made a full reset on the
Zyxel VDSL modem/bridge, and no more issues the last 5 days and nights.

So it seems it wasn't a pfsense issue after all... :)  But at least I
know how to debug this kind of problems the next time, merci!

regards from Switzerland,
Olivier