Hello Stefan,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Stefan Schreiber <st...@mail.telepac.pt>
 wrote:

>> Two questions:
>
> 1. Doesn't ATK support binaural HOA decoders?
>
> 2. < 8 > impulses (for 4 virtual speakers) implies that you don't support
> 3D decoders (?). If not, why this? (Immersive/3D audio is on the
> requirement list for VR. It wouldn't make a lot of sense if all sound
> sources will follow your gaze - looking upwards or downwards.)

Two answers:

1. At the moment, the distributed versions (SuperCollider and JSFX
plug-ins) don't support HOA. That includes binaural HOA decoders.

An HOA version is in development, and we have run some concerts here in
Seattle using some of these features.

2. The FOA ATK HRTF decoders are

-3D for the decoders generated from the measured IRCAM Listen and CIPIC
HRTF sets

-2D for the decoders generated from the simple Duda Spherical Head model

You can read about these decoders in the documentation for the
SuperCollider version of the ATK here
<http://doc.sccode.org/Classes/FoaDecoderKernel.html>. Repeated from that
page regarding the Spherical Head model:

With no pinnae and no body, elevation cues are not present.

No pinnae + No body = 2D

You'll need to remember, this is only the final rendering (decoding).
B-format soundfields are 3D, the ATK's Duda Model decoder, just doesn't
reproduce elevation cues. You can rotate the soundfield with VR-head
tracking as you normally would/should....

Clear?

My best,

*Joseph Anderson*

*http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/ <http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/>*