Trond Lossius wrote:

On 25 Jan 2016, at 01:37, Marc Lavallée <m...@hacklava.net> wrote:

As anything simpler but functional might be sufficient and even preferable in most cases:

- Does ATK define an HRTF interface which is sufficiently flexible to
be the base for a real < standard > ?
Not really, but you should ask the maintainers of ATK.

I don’t think ATK makes sense as a standard. The ATK sets are pretty
application-specific: For each HRTF it contains 8 impulses so that each of the
WXYZ channels can be convolved to the left and right ear. These are calculated
as a reductionfrom larger sets of HRTF measurements. A general HRTF measurement
contains much more information (measurements for multiple azimuths and
elevations). As such SOFA seems to me an interesting move towards a
standardisation.

What would be useful though, would be a standard solution for generating
impulses for ATK from SOFA data.

Best,
Trond

Two questions:

1. Doesn't ATK support binaural HOA decoders?

2. < 8 > impulses (for 4 virtual speakers) implies that you don't support 3D decoders (?). If not, why this? (Immersive/3D audio is on the requirement list for VR. It wouldn't make a lot of sense if all sound sources will follow your gaze - looking upwards or downwards.)

Best,

Stefan