On Monday, 19 March 2007 23:46, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:21:16 +0100
> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hm, I think I misunderstood the issue.
> >
> > Can anyone please explain to me what the current situation is and why it may
> > be a good idea to change it (or not)?
>
> libx86 is a dependency of vbetool. Since the new release of vbetool it
> is split of in a different library, packaged in a different tarball. We
> probably wont be doing much development on libx86 so Stefan purged that
> part from CVS. People compiling will now need to get the tarball from
> Matthews website.
>
> So far so good.
>
> Now I would argue: let people just get that tarball, unpack, type make
> && make install, just like they would for liblzf or libgcrypt.
> Stefan however, has implemented a hack to help people compile suspend
> in one go. You know can unpack the tarball, make a symlink and type
> make.
>
> I was arguing that was unnecessary, and would just clutter our makefile.
>
> Well, I'm not going to get religious over this, I made a patch that
> keeps stefans idea, but makes it a bit better to read (IMHO), it also
> makes it a bit easier to add other CONFIG_EMBEDDED_ stuff and will help
> with my ppc-support patch that I will send in a few days.
> I also removed some cruft left over from the pre-libx86 days.
>
> OK, to commit?

Hm, well.  I think that if we don't ship something, we should not have the
option to compile it in our Makefile.

Instead, we should update the documentation to tell the users that they
should obtain the thing separately and what to do to get everything right.

The static linking is possible in either case, isn't it?

Rafael