I'm certainly no expert by any way of slicing it, but my understanding is that
there is a very long list of banned doping substances of many types, but
procedurally an athlete can also "declare" anything that is prescribed for a
medical condition, and as long as it is deemed legitimate by whoever looks at
those declarations, it's okay to compete with it in your system.
On the surface that would seem ripe for abuse- namely by those who would
exploit the medical situation (perhaps real, or perhaps a "cover") to
excessively dope for performance--enhancing purposes.
OR......and this is a much grayer area-
Let's say somebody has a real medical condition, is prescribed stuff to take-
DOES take it, and in only the prescribed dosage necessary to address the
medical condition- BUT......that dosage also has side effects- namely
performance enhancement.  Let's say the athlete has no choice whether to take
it or not- he/she has to because of the medical condition.
The athlete is receiving a benefit that competitors are forbidden to share.

Should the athlete be suspended from competition (not a negative connotation,
just practical) until the medical condition subsides enough that the dosage can
be discontinued?  Should there also be a 'grace period' of additional
suspension tacked on, to allow the dope to wash out of the body?  Should
frequent out-of-competition  testing continue THROUGHOUT this time, to monitor
what's going on with the athlete- and get the final 'green light' to return to
competition?

Right now, it would seem that most of these situations are unaddressed- they
just have that procedure to 'declare it, along with a doctor's prescription,
and you're clear'.  And everybody knows doctor's prescriptions can be bought.

Am I wrong?  What am I missing here?

Randy