I'm harmonious with Minh's comments in the changeset.

The place key, with value suburb, has quite specific meanings, I don't think
these are those.  And as we don't or shouldn't be truly precise and especially
not authoritative with "legal subdivisions," I think the "more informal" nature
of OSM data entry around what a local (resident) might consider "a
neighborhood" (especially as one distinct from place=neighbourhood. which also
has quite specific meanings) and not necessarily one taggable with
admin_level=10 (as it hasn't any administrative neighborhood council, extant,
but rare in the USA) then yes, use landuse=residential (with a name=*) tag.
That has worked for some time, it does work for now, and appears it will work
into the future.

Read https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Key:place (which will show this very likely
shouldn't be used).
Read https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/United_States_admin_level (which will show this
very likely shouldn't be used).
Read https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Key:landuse.  It's a good match for "these"
(roughly, "subdivisions"), especially with a name tag, since a bonus is the
name tag renders nicely in Carto.  Carto rendering is not the reason to do it,
simply a "nice to have, since it's done correctly, Carto rewards you with an
appropriate rendering."  Carto does a pretty good job (maybe even always
getting a bit better as time goes on) of rendering what you tag, when you tag
appropriately.  Tag "appropriately" and help it out:  it will help you out with
a pretty "blossom" of your tagging.  (Unless it doesn't, but then we're out at
the hairy edge of OSM and Carto...another, bigger, topic).

SteveA