Settlements which are mapped with the place=* key are usually mapped as a
node, not as an area.

There are many place=city areas in the USA, but that's because the tag was
incorrectly added to many municipal boundaries when they were first
imported, years ago.

Some neighborhoods have well-defined boundaries, such as
boundary=administrative relations, and can be mapped as such.

But most neighborhoods, like towns and villages, do not have a clear place
where the named place ends. Even in big cities with well-known
neighborhoods you will hard-pressed to get two locals to agree about the
exact place where one named neighborhood ends and another starts, unless
this is legally defined by the municipality (and even then, real estate ads
and locals will often change things).

So it's best to use place=neighbourhood, like place=town and place=suburb,
on a node at the center of the place.

- Joseph Eisenberg