On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Stephen Hope <slh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What about railway crossings?  I've seen railway crossings with no
> lights, gates or similar, just a stop sign.  Usually way out in the
> middle of nowhere, so there may not be a routable junction for quite
> some distance, and even if there was, the sign doesn't apply to that
> junction anyway. Would a railway/road crossing count as a "nearest
> node junction", or would it try and apply it to something else?

Good point. Also, how about a straight section of road that becomes
narrow (single lane) in one section, and therefore has a stop (or give
way) sign on one side of the narrow section. There's no junction at
all in this case.

This is the risk with using a "fudge" solution (i.e. implicitly
referring to another node using "proximity", rather than using a
relation) - there could be other *unforeseen* cases that will break
the fudge in future...