2013/4/1 Stephan Knauss <o...@stephans-server.de>

> Martin Koppenhoefer writes:
>
>> Btw.: how many boundaries shall we tolerate?
>>
> How much of your mapping shall I tolerate? It's always the same answer.
> Pay respect to other mappers. If the data is of use to other mappers,
> respect it. Even if you would not map it this way.

You have to distinguish between mapping features for which our database is
suitable and which are geodata and on the other hand metadata, raster data
and encrypted data (like unique IDs of nondisclosed external databases).
Coverage of a proprietary imagery provider IMHO isn't really suitable to be
mapped in OSM, but could be tolerated for practical reasons.

> I personally thing that mapping of underground power lines doe snot belong
> into OSM. But I do not delete them. And i don't maintain them.

that's really not comparable IMHO. The underground power lines are there in
the "real world", the imagery boundaries aren't.

> Using imagery to support mapping has gained a lot of importance over the
> last few years. That much that we changed our OSM flyer to highlight it as
> a foundation for data along with GPS tracks.

no doubt, the question was whether mapped boundaries of these data belong
to OSM, not the derived features.

> Years back when Bing allowed us to use their imagery we did not have any
> of this available.

not completely true, it is true for big parts of Germany, but in many
countries there had already been alternative sources available, often
better than what Bing offers (e.g. in Italy, Spain, US, Canada, ...)

> So storing a few hundred extra ways in the database had been the easiest
> and most practical solution. The way do no harm to anybody. So just keep
> them for a while until all functionality has been migrated to different
> tools.

+1, that's what I wrote. I thought the only question we're still discussing
is how to deal with outdated outlines (better keep/ignore them when
outdated so maybe someone can update them, or simply delete them).

cheers,
Martin