On Thursday 28 May 2015, Andrew Guertin wrote:
> > There is a fundamental difference between "an actual name for a
> > place" and "a translation of one of those names"
>
> I DO agree with this statement[1].
>
> However, I think that the point at which a word stops being a
> transliteration and starts being a native word is much sooner than
> you seem to. I'm not a linguist, but if I had to pin down when I
> think a word becomes part of a language, I'd say whenever the person
> using it doesn't think they're code-switching.[2]
>
> It's clear that in many cases, the people writing "Абергавенни" don't
> consider themselves to ever be switching out of Russian. To me, that
> makes Абергавенни an actual name for the place.

That might be the case but for OSM what matters should be if the use of
this reference is sufficiently widespread, specific and prominent to be
verifiable for mappers.

If i use a certain 'name' to refer to a certain geographic feature this
is not yet a name of that feature in any wider sense no matter how i
generated this name.  When i start communicating that name by refering
to this feature with that name to others and others pick up the name
and use it themselves this changes.  When this use of the name i chose
gets widespread - both in absolute numbers, i.e. people actually using
it frequently and in relative numbers, i.e. this name becomes the
dominating name to refer to that feature within a certain context, like
in a certain language, it will be sufficiently established to be tagged
in OSM (in my opinion - others might see this differently).

Note the key part here is the conscious and specific use of the name for
the feature in question.  Automatically generated lists and databases
do not count.  These might influence peoples' use of names but do not
establish a name on their own.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/