Þann 28.5.2015 19:43, skrifaði Frederik Ramm:
Hi,

On 05/28/2015 09:19 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
What I would not support in OSM, and like to outsource to Wikidata or
other, is if speakers of these 20 languages were to start assigning name
tags in their language to thousands of places in, say, the UK.
*Especially* if their reasoning was that this makes it nicer for them to
run a tank through these places in their own-language war simulation
with their buddies.
Disclaimer, I own some of the tanks that might run through some of the places. As any consumer I've been critical of their work and loved and hated it with equal passion, depending on what they did in the last patch release.

Having said that the one nice thing about open projects is the added value people put into them and get out of them for a myriad of reasons. A gaming company adding information (yes it is information) to the map can be beneficial to another consumer, for example a Russian style TripAdvisor or something completely different.

Is a gaming company not worthy of adding information? Again a matter of where do you draw the line. They are not inventing new towns or places, they are not creating battlefields. Do we now require each contributor to disclose the reason for why they are adding information to the map?

This revert and discussions about it should not become too specific to the contributor whose work was reverted. These edits and reverts point at a vital issue as we try to grow the map in areas where hundreds of languages suddenly eye the ability to get maps in their own languages using the OSM data and tools that exist for it. I propose the OSMF tackle these two questions, who should be able to add information to the map and what do we do about languages and where are the limits.

--Jói / Stalfur