SomeoneElse writes:
 > On 29/05/2015 07:07, Andrew Hain wrote:
 > > Thank you Dave. As a British mapper I am ashamed that some people want
 > > to make the map of my country less useful, and not only to Russian
 > > speakers a long way away.
 >
 > Hang on, where is _anybody_ saying that?  The whole point of the thread
 > is about whether it would be possible to use wikidata to make the map
 > _more_ useful to people who don't speak a particular language, not
 > less.  As I said yesterday:
 >
 >  > It's a perfectly reasonable request for someone to ask "can I
 >  > have a map that shows place names displayed in my language /
 >  > alphabet".

It wouldn't be the first time that we argued about what "the map"
should have on it. IMHO, we shouldn't have "a map". We should have a
list of map peers, each of which is rendered topically, including an
"English Language" map, or a "Kannada" map. They should be hosted by
whomever wants to host them. The only difference is which tile set
gets selected. You can edit off all of them, using potlatch or id or
remote control. There is a "data" flag for all of them so you can see
data items rendered over the map tiles.

And (this is key) there is no default. There is no "OSM map. And there
is nothing to argue about how "the map" should be rendered.

We'll still argue, of course. But it will be arguments about what goes
into the database. And the default answer there is "Everything that
doesn't move, and a few things that do."

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog