On Fri May 29 10:42:27 2015 GMT+0100, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> Exactly. Us Western Europeans would find Romanised versions of names useful
> when travelling out of Western Europe (to give a real example: I'm visiting
> Greece this summer, and while I'm just about at the stage where I think I can
> decode the Greek alphabet, Romanised versions are definitely helpful), and
> the converse should also be true.

I remember street names in Athens were in both latin and Greek alphabets when I
was there,  although greek is at least recognisable to most westerners due to
its use in maths and science.

> You don't even need on the ground evidence. You just need someone with
> knowledge of Cyrillic and Roman alphabets to be able to transliterate
> Abergavenny into the Cyrillic, presumably.

Transliteration is something that can be done at application level, and a
traveller would have learned the basics. You still need to be able to check the
street names against.what is on the sign.
Then why not have a single transliteration?  A single cryllic to latin
transliteration will serve all languages using the latin alphabet, do we need
separate Russian,  Ukrainian,  Serbo Croat tags when they are identical?

Phil (trigpoint)

> Nick

Sent from my Jolla