On Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 10:05:31 AM [GMT -0500], Alto Speckhardt
wrote:

> The others are the majority, that fact alone says enough.

Windows is the standard. It's the standard against with other OS's
should be judged. Afterall, it's what the majority uses so it's
architecture and approach must be right and any lone deviation should be
considered wrong and not in the interest of the user.

> Which way is the user supposed to get learn - the usual one that he
> can use at home, at work, at school, from Europe to the Far East on
> every editor he happens to stumble on; or the special one that works
> on one editor, and this one editor only?

> Come on.

Back at you with 'come on'. :) MicroEd doesn't deviate that markedly
from regular use that a passing user will not be able to use it. My
passing user days were long ago, though memorable. I didn't have to take
to manual to edit mails or catch on to how the editor behaves.

> There are basic features and extended features. The basic features are
> such like that when you press the key "q" on your keyboard the letter
> will appear somewhere in your text. These are the basic requirements,
> and LF-handling is one of them since we had to bury EDLIN.

That's what MicroEd does if you disable auto-formatting. If you disable
it, re-editing flowed text will require re-wrapping with an Alt-L. This
is how I use MicroEd.

You could have a look at an editor called WinEdt.

http://www.winedt.com/

It behaves just as MicroEd does with regards to line feeds. It's
interesting how they speak of this line feeds issue. However, I do
believe that you can disable the behaviour and get the behaviour that is
more commonly seen.

> The extended features are targeted at a special purpose of the
> particular editor. They make the difference between Visual Studio IDE
> and MS Word. But these features build upon the basic ones, they do not
> modify them. If they still do, then they shouldn't do so without good
> cause and reason, and the user should always be able to switch back to
> the method he has grown accustomed with over the years.

Unlike most other editors, MicroEd formats as you type. It doesn't
soft/format. Type a few lines of text in MicroEd and copy/paste in
notepad with wrapping disabled. You'll see the lines are wrapped. Try
the same with any other editor and you'll see one long line of text.

This is why TB! doesn't wrap on sending. MicroEd really formats on the
fly. This is a fundamental difference and is the reason for the
difference in treatment of the LF. If you separate two paragraphs by a
single line feed, how is the formatting engine to tell that you wish to
start a new paragraph vs simply requiring reformatting?

WinEdt deals with this by the user being able to configure special
characters that if used to start a new line, signals the editor not to
simply reflow into the above line.

The advantage: WYSIWYG.

WYSIWYG formatting done on the fly *as you type*. You're not getting a
representation of what it will look like when the other parties program
soft-formats or when your program formats on sending. Formatting on
sending opens its own can of worms and this is why I was happy that TB!
incorporates an editor that doesn't rely on this.

--
  -= Allie Martin =-
The Bat!™ v3.5.0.31