Hi Karin,

On 18 September 2000 at 21:22:48 GMT +0200 (which was 20:22 where I
live) Karin Spaink wrote and made these points on the subject
of "Questions (I'm still too new a user)":

KS> 1. Before I made a totally new private address book, I had already
KS> created two nicknames. I can't seem to find them anywhere, but
KS> they still work - does anybody have a clue as to where they might
KS> have gone?

None  at  all!  Exploring  the  AB  might  reveal them at one level or
another. Unless by "nicknames" you mean addresses that fill themselves
in  in  the  "To:"  field  when  you  are  typing...  if so then those
addresses are pulled from the To field history drop-down list.

KS> 2. Is there any .ini file that can be manually tuned?
KS> (Sidequestion: why is all the information about accpounts,
KS> settings, filters, address books etc, all in a format that
KS> cannot be viewed in file format?

Sadly  not.  This  was the topic of a recent lively discussion here on
the  downside  of  keeping  all settings in the registry. We have been
assured that this is changing soon.

KS> 3. Is there any way to manually edit received messages (.e.g
KS> the Pencil function in Eudora, editing the inbox. file in
KS> Netscape), other than to export the message, edit and then
KS> import it? I tried the Netscape method - reading a mailbox
KS> into Wordpad, take out whatever, close and reread the
KS> mailbox. That won't work.

Export  /edit  /  import is the best way (the "received" headers don't
get  changed).  Drag  to outbox, open, edit, drag back (before it gets
accidentally sent) is the other.

KS> 4. Mailbox management: I miss a drag and drop option that
KS> will allow you to move the mailbox (properties and all) to a
KS> different place in the mailbox structure. Now I need to set
KS> up a new mailbox, move messages and adjust filters &
KS> templates.

Use Alt-Drag to move a folder to the same level as the folder you drop
it  on.  Use  Ctrl-Drag  to move a folder to the within the folder you
drop it on.

KS> 5.  Flagging. I can't really figure what the little red
KS> flags in the overview folder window stands for, or what it
KS> is supposed to do.

No  I can't either. You can toggle it on/off on a message, sort by it,
turn it on in a filter and use it as a search criteria.

KS> 6.  Folder tree: I can't fully gather how the numbers after
KS> the folder name mean. Example, currently that tree contains,
KS> amongst others:

KS> inbox            0 (7)     1 (11)
KS> mailinglists     0 (7)     0 (10)
KS>    - HFH         3         4
KS>    - Swans       4         6
KS> people                     0 (1)
KS>    - Zenon                 1
KS> sotware          0 (16)    0 (19)
KS>    - TheBat      16        19

KS> My inbox contains 1 read message. Where does the (11) come
KS> from,

The  folders  contained  within  the  inbox have 11 messages scattered
around somewhere in the hierarchy.

KS> or the (7) for that matter?

... and 7 of them are New (unread).

KS> The (7) and (10) in Mailinglists I understand: the two underlying
KS> mailboxes contain 7 unread messages and 10 in total. Same for the
KS> Software folder. But the meaning of the numbers after the inbox
KS> elude me.

I  think  you  have  your  folder map wrong. From the numbers you have
quoted I would say it looks more like this:

inbox              0 (7)     1 (11)
   - mailinglists  0 (7)     0 (10)
     - HFH         3         4
     - Swans       4         6
   - people                  0 (1)
     - Zenon                 1
sotware            0 (16)    0 (19)
   - TheBat        16        19

- --
Cheers,
.\\arck
[    Marck D. Pearlstone | Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA              ]
[ PGP Key ID: 0x929DCDA0 | www: http://www.silverstones.com      ]
[ PGP Key: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Body=GET%20MARCKKEY> ]

 Headline - New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
 TB! v1.47 Beta/3 S/N 14F4B4B2 on Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222  A