Hello Melissa,

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:43:38 -0800 GMT (06/03/03, 03:43 +0700 GMT),
Melissa Reese wrote:

> I'm all for good freeware programs (and thankful to the generous
> programmers who offer them), but I'm also happy to pay for software if
> I feel it will do a better job than competing freeware (perhaps
> especially with regards to security software). There are free email
> clients out there. Why do we happily pay for TB!?

Because we get a 30-day trial period.

I am using PC-Cillin, and while I am quite happy with it, it does not
reliably catch viruses that are in attached files when downloading
mails. So, I manually save every attachment that might contain a virus
(including, for example, .doc and .xls files from friends), and that
action would trigger the realtime scan. But then, I am using PCC6
(1999) and the latest version is PCC2003, so this problem might have
been addressed on any one of the pay-for updates in the past 4 years.

If NOD32 (which gets the most praise on this list) offers a trial
period, I am willing to look into it. Does it?

One question to those people who said ion an earlier thread they don't
use virus scanners but rely on "common sense": how do you tell whether
a .doc file has a macro virus if you don't use a virus scanner? Do you
open the file in hex editor and scan with your eyes? If so, I admire
you if you can spot the code faster than a virus scanner. In fact, I
think you could make a lot of money on TV shows like "Ripley's Believe
it or not". ;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Everybody repeat after me....."We are all individuals."

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.63 Beta/5
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM