Hello Thomas,

TF> Hello Melissa,

TF> On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:43:38 -0800 GMT (06/03/03, 03:43 +0700 GMT),
TF> Melissa Reese wrote:

>> I'm all for good freeware programs (and thankful to the generous
>> programmers who offer them), but I'm also happy to pay for software if
>> I feel it will do a better job than competing freeware (perhaps
>> especially with regards to security software). There are free email
>> clients out there. Why do we happily pay for TB!?

TF> Because we get a 30-day trial period.

TF> I am using PC-Cillin, and while I am quite happy with it, it does not
TF> reliably catch viruses that are in attached files when downloading
TF> mails.

PC-Cillin is not very good.  Independent testing done by virus
bulletin clearly shows this.  It has 4 passes and 7 failures.
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?trend.xml

trend micro makes pc-cillin.

TF> If NOD32 (which gets the most praise on this list) offers a trial
TF> period, I am willing to look into it. Does it?

yes it does.

trial version may be obtained here.
http://www.nod32.com/download/trial.htm

also if you wish to look at the succes as verified by virus bulletin
then go here.
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?eset.xml

21 passes and only 3 failures. Simply the best. Beats norton.

TF> One question to those people who said ion an earlier thread they don't
TF> use virus scanners but rely on "common sense": how do you tell whether
TF> a .doc file has a macro virus if you don't use a virus scanner? Do you
TF> open the file in hex editor and scan with your eyes? If so, I admire
TF> you if you can spot the code faster than a virus scanner. In fact, I
TF> think you could make a lot of money on TV shows like "Ripley's Believe
TF> it or not". ;-)

LOL. I totally agree with you. These same people would probably try to
sell you some prime beach front property in florida at low tide.

 rick