Hello Stephane Bouvard [ML] & everyone else,

on 25-Mrz-2006 at 17:38 you (Stephane Bouvard [ML]) wrote:

>> Well, it is commonly acknowledged that articles are easier to read
>> and comprehend if the text is not too wide. Thats why text in
>> technical and scientific magazines is divided into multiple columns
>> per page.

> Technical and scientific (and many other) magazines is divided into multiple
> columns first because you can insert more text on the same page (you loose
> less surface between paragraphs,...), and thus cost less to print :)

http://www.webaim.org/techniques/textlayout/
http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/72/columns.htm

Depends on what "significant" is in this context, but I found it quite
interesting.

> that's why when there is no hardwrap the reader have always the choice
> to display the mail in a small width... i like when people have the
> choice to do how they want...

I do not disagree with you.

However, this would require that every email client only inserts CR/LF
when the user explicitely says so - otherwise you don't have a choice.
You can't force all the world to do that for you. Talking about TheBat,
only a small fraction of its users is using WinEd (which would do what
you want, but its miserable handling quotes for example).

And if the client on the receiving side should fix this for you, it'll fail,
because, as I already said, a CR/LF is a CR/LF is...

> No, i do not want a wordprocessor paragraph formatting : emails are
> just text, and does not contain any special formatting like space
> between paragraphs,... When the writer of a mail *want* to begin text
> on another line, they insert one CR/LF, when they want to separate two
> paragraphs, they insert two CR/LF (or more), but when they do not want
> specificaly to continue on another line, they do insert nothing...

Thats what TBs WinEd does, so go ahead and use it! ;-)

> Exactly, and you still can, even with no hardwrap. wrap is not equal
> to linebreak !

Reality bites. In plain text email messages, it is:

> No, as you said, that will mess any linebreak, it's technicaly not possible
> to disting hardwrap CR/LF from linebreak CR/LF.

>> And the PDA mailreader does not have the simple mechanism to remove
>> single CR/LF combinations and re-flow the message text for you?
>> Poorly programmed, I'd say. :-P

> Again, it's technicaly not possible to disting linebreak from hardwrap...

For a small screen device like a PDA, I could live with that limitation.
It depends on the situation.

> But how can you change the "Wrap text at" settings within template ?

You don't need to. Switch to WinEd. It wraps only on screen, not in the
actual message that is sent.

 Alexander (http://www.neurowerx.de - ICQ 238153981)

A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say
America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you
make. -- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields'
Cookies.