Oh yeah. And I refuse to rejoin until the person who is Region 8 Director
(or is it sponsor now?) is no longer acting in that position! Because of
him, it was "no longer fun" to be an active leader, let alone member, in the
organization. And although I could join any other community I wanted (say,
Boston! <grin>), if I wanted to attend any local meetings, I'd have to pay.
(Although not sure I'd want to since their agenda is lousy, but that is
itself a whole other issue!)

STC didn't just disrespect international members. They did a real good job
if disrespecting national members, who were active leaders in chapters and
communities.

...sue

On 5/26/07, Paula Stern (WritePoint) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <snip>

3. A deep-seated anger that STC national took years and burned many people
> by refusing to respect international members while using thousands of our
> dollars and our membership to be able to call itself an international
> organization. It finally recognized some of its mistakes...but has done
> nothing to undo the damage that was caused to local groups.
> 4. Politics - I can't stand the pettiness I have seen in the past and the
> fact that almost every past leader here is burned out, fed up, and
> disgusted. I've seen the local council go against key membership opinions
> benefit the council members and bend by-laws so far that it is a joke.
>
> I believe STC national (and local) lost the interest of the ordinary
> international technical writer when all it could see was itself in the
> mirror. There are some small efforts it has taken to rectify this - but
> for
> me it is a case of too little and too late.

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.

DOCUMENTATION & TRAINING WEST 07: THE USER EXPERIENCE

April 18-21, 2007 ~ Vancouver BC ~ Marriott Pinnacle ~ free city tour
40+ sessions * free workshops * free iPod offer * www.doctrain.com