On 10-09-29 12:09 PM, Jesse Thompson wrote:
> On 09/29/2010 11:43 AM, Brad Knowles wrote:
>> Since part of the purpose of Facetime (and Apple's claim to be
>> committed to turning it into a true open standard) is that it would
>> give them a really strong weapon to use in their fight against the
>> Microsoft/Google/Skype Hegemony, I think Apple's choice in this matter
>> is pretty clear.
>
> I wouldn't say that there is a single hegemony. Each company is trying
> to make their own hegemony. Apple included (as underscored by their
> choice to abandon JINGLE in favor of system that puts Apple in complete
> control.)
>
> Except for Google, who's dominance plan appears to involve offering a
> superior user experience instead of controlling the competition.
>
> I'm wary of Google, but they actually have delivered a solution that
> works. I can make a voice call to the gmail web client from Pidgin on my
> Linux computer while logged in to my local XMPP service. And, I can make
> calls to other users on any federated XMPP service. I can do that today.

I agree with you about google, they did it right in the sense that they
created a client which offers better quality than most, but stuck to standard
protocols AND accept federation (I still don't understand why facebook refuses
to federate, while using completely standard protocols).

On the other hand, as much as I am not a fan of Apple, they have open up a lot
of their technologies, look at CUPS and calendarserver. Maybe they moved away
from jingle for a technical reason...

--
Yves.                                                  http://www.SollerS.ca/
                                                     http://images.SollerS.ca/