Hi Soren

Excellent points, thank you.
> Jeremy's concerns seem to focus around search, but I actually haven't found
> Google Groups search to be that bad (you have to pick "sort by relevance"
> instead of "sort by date" after every search or it is just about useless,
> though – if you think it's bad and you haven't tried that, do).

Search isn't actually a particular concern of mine; earlier in the thread I was
trying to tease out TiddlyTweeters concerns about finding things. My point is
that moving to new forum software is not going to be a panacea for
TiddlyTweeter's concerns, which I think can only be addressed by human curation.

> However, the editing experience, while it used to be tolerable, has become
> horrendous since the latest UI “upgrade”. I regularly have the screen get
> corrupted or lose data (wtf, how did this become acceptable), and doing code
> formatting is a huge pain now.

I generally compose via email but my understanding is that it is no longer
straightforward to make monospaced blocks, which does indeed seem pretty poor.

> In terms of migration difficulty...I've been part of the Anki open-source
> community on and off for many years, and it has moved from Google Groups to
> TenderApp (actually a tech support system, but it worked OK for discussions
> too, and had an awesome API back when that was rare) to Discourse, and there
> don't seem to have been significant problems getting the community to come
> along with. Unless we have a substantial contingent of core members who
> refuse to switch platforms, I'm not convinced this is going to be a huge
> problem. For people who drop in and out, having to learn one new platform
> over another one doesn't seem like much of a change unless the new platform
> is significantly harder to use. How many people are actually already familiar
> with Google Groups nowadays?

I am actually not too concerned about moving the community over. When the time
comes, we'll close the GG to new posts.

> I'm not a huge fan of Discourse either, though, FWIW, and a pure TW solution
> would be harder to implement and probably harder for new users to use. So not
> sure I have much of an opinion on whether we should move. If we decided to,
> I'd be willing to chip in for hosting costs.

I'm using Discourse a fair amount on other projects. It seems to be a nice,
well polished piece of engineering, but is conceptually somewhat old fashioned.
I think it would constitute an improvement, but perhaps not by as much as we
might hope.

Best wishes

Jeremy