Ciao TonyM

TonyM wrote:

> The thing I find frustrating is fonts seem not to document the "code
> pages" they include.  There must be Unicode rich ones available for linux
> and apple and other devices as there is for Windows.

I agree. *Frustrating* is the word. It is one of those areas of OS process
that is simultaneously BRILLIANT and CONFUSING.

It is *brilliant *in that modern glyph end-usage got so much easier. Thanks
to Unicode + improved Font File Architecture + Substitution metadata.
It is *confusing* in that the OS+software mediated process of substitution
actually now makes it difficult to answer simple questions about which
fonts to use where---because the substitution process transparently does it
automatically. Unraveling that is really for an expert in that specific
field now.

I did some tests in TW to see if I could get it to use a special Test Font
that Adobe provide which indexes ALL Unicode code points to a "blank."
Doing that you can, in theory, set a CSS cascade such that you effectively
switch-off substitution (i.e. cascade: Font, BlankFont). that make it quick
and easy to know which fonts truly hold a glyph.
Unfortunately Windows 10 doesn't directly support the indexing method the
AdobeBlankVF font file uses.

I'm still playing around with the idea though.

Best wishes
TT