My TM's like Pat's... idiopathic. At 53 yrs. old, woke up Monday morning after Easter Sunday April 17th, 2006 with a numb arm. Over the next 36 hours the numbness progressed over my body and my legs started spasming. After an ER EKG, X-Rays, spinal tap and MRI, the neurologist diagnosed TM at C7. After 4 days chest-to-feet paralysis in the hospital, 4 weeks in a re-hab facility, on-and-off physical & occupational therapy and multiple splints and two surgeries on my right hand/wrist, I'm left with the following:

 - ongoing fatigue
- acute pain (I take 600mg Gabapentin and 7.5-325mg Hydrocodon-Acetaminophen every 6 hours - Dr. allows one more of each for break-thru pain from over-exertion)
 - torso banding
- no temperature sensation from the chest down (although I do experience the hot/cold/tingling foot abnormalities)
 - surface skin numbness (I can feel pressure, but not sharp cuts)
- bladder/bowel issues (not as bad as in the beginning - I've learned to "listen" to my body and time bathroom breaks) - disabled hands/fingers (fingers on one hand permanently look like I'm flipping the bird, on the other the fingers can't bend to make a fist so my grip is compromised, destroying my ability to touch-type or write in cursive) - my left knee muscles no longer work so I can't lift/bend the leg. This hampers my balance so I use a cane whenever I go anywhere. Also, my foot pronates and I experience clonus on occasion - my skin is now hyper-sensitive to silky, slinky or chiffon fabrics - I do best with natural fibers
 - my memory suffers greatly due to all the drugs
 - What's next? I forget (just kidding!)

One good thing... with only my left leg being adversely affected, I can still drive my car.
Just "celebrated" my seventh year with TM.

Betty