I was working as an associate professor of economics and petroleum pricing
at an engineering college in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (near Dubai)
when my left side sort of "went out" on me at the end of the fall semester
in 2010.  Had to use a walking stick to go to work.  Drs thought it could be
related to an earlier back injury‹I have 7 fused vertebrae from an
industrial accident incurred in 1970‹but weren't sure.  Couldn't take an MRI
due to the steel rods holding everything together; ditto for spinal tap due
to the fusions.  Sent me to see psychologists!

Later after several more examinations an Indian neurologist, who had spent a
lifetime diagnosing without expensive imaging equipment, was able to declare
it TM, idiopathic.  He said that Abu Dhabi, with 4 million foreign workers,
is a petrie dish of diseases.

By that time the pain was outrageous, like a thousand bee stings, mostly in
the torso and arms.  For a couple of weeks my spinal cord was just on fire
and I feared a complete meltdown and paralysis, because it was the same
thing a friend of mine described, who died of MS.  He put me on Lyrica, and
later dilantin for seizures.

On 24 April 2010 had the first general seizure; it was just after class on
the woman's campus and in plain site of the students.  Taken by ambulance to
a hospital.  Lasted for 6 hours, and there would be plenty more.  When one
occurred during class and when my memory began to noticeably slip I was sent
home for good in the fall of 2011.  Now, banding is intermittent, bee-sting
pain is off the charts without the meds, but leg and foot function has
returned almost to normal, though dizziness makes me walk a little loopy
sometimes.  Memory is a shambles and any kind of executive functioning on my
own is risky‹for others!

Seizures seem to be the result of an "anomaly" in the brainstem in the area
for the body's voluntary muscle functions.  It is not epilepsy, because it
does not start in the brain.  Now, the seizures are much reduced and more
like sets of contractions; or when I will suddenly totally lose focus and
just stare out and not be able to move or talk for a few seconds or minutes.

Seizures are not controlled by medications, come at unknown times and last
for unknown duration, and are humiliating.  And if it weren't for the
importance I attach to my present work, which involves going to meetings and
public speaking, I might avoid people altogether.

With the decline of mental faculties, the life I once enjoyed as an
economics professor at an engineering college seems incredible now.
Outsiders can't really appreciate the level of ongoing intellectual
competition involved in maintaining an academic position at the university
level, especially where no tenure or even year-by-year job security exists,
as in a foreign posting.  These are teams and not families; each time you
must perform well or they get someone else.  But while most of the acquired
economic knowledge has fallen away the spiritual insights have only
increased.  A new life has opened up conducting local teaching circles on
the Qur'an and to a lesser extent, the Holy Bible among fellow Baha'is and
others, not to mention discussing the tenants and beliefs of the Baha'i
Faith to anyone interested.  Friends help with transportation as I am not
really safe traveling unaccompanied due to the seizure threat.

Have the spiritual and inner lives increased as our outer, physical
abilities have been taken away?  And, is there anything in which we feel
useful and still able to make a contribution?  Have there been any
surprising "compensations"?  That is the next discussion we should be
having, and how we can build new things out of this experience.

With deep respect for you all,

Dalton

Dalton Garis
Flushing, Queens