woodnut;557328 Wrote:
> Thanks.
>

> Does the file format FAT32 or NTFS make a difference to the Touch in
> terms of ease of access?
>
> I am tempted to rip the Flac files at 0 if this helps the Touch decode
> the Flacs more easily. I have read conflicting reports on this all over
> the web some say the decoding is nearly the same for all levels, some
> say 0-2 is better for ease of decoding. I read a report where a user
> claimed that anything above 0 intruduced jitter caused by the CPU
> having to work harder.
>
> I guess the NAS is something for the future if I run into problems. I
> really want to avoid having the computer on if it is possible.

1. 99% of what you read about jitter on the internet is wrong, wrong,
wrong.

2. compressing at zero is really a waste of space. I keep up with these
discussions, and I've only seen serious discussion about issues with
more than "5" on hi-rez files. If you use 5, you should be good to go.
I use 5 for my flac files (with embedded album art).  Remember FLAC is
lossless. If you ripped at 5 and decided later that you wanted "0", you
simply point and click at a batch of your files (50,000 even), and go
away for 48 hours. When you return you'll have new FLAC files with a
different compression. This is the beauty of having lossless to begin
with. I used dbpa to convert all my FLAC -8 files to FLAC -5, with two
or three mouse clicks.

3. Search this forum for comments on NAS's. Remember a NAS is a
computer, just a small one. If you want a small computer to run your
SB, consider the vortexbox appliance, an atom nettop, or a sheevaplug.
And of course the beauty of SB stuff, is that your
computer/NAS/harddrive can be in a completely different location than
the SB.

--
garym