While you're troubleshooting the problems, (especially determining
whether it is insufficient wifi bandwidth or straining an underpowered
NAS, could you temporarily run an ethernet cable across the floor? That
is, before you get serious with drilling holes, running through walls,
installing wallplates, and messing with drywall or spackle (my least
favorite, yuck). Even though wired connections are always good, that's
a lot of sweat if it turns out that the main problem is your NAS's
resources.

I am sure you can get back to the wired/wifi question again by doing a
factory reset of the Touch and re-doing the setup process. You can do
that by pressing the very small button just above where the power cable
connects to the Touch, and hold it for about 10-15 seconds, until the
screen says "Factory reset" or something similar. I'm just not sure if
you can change to wired without doing a full reset on the Touch.

Ah, Apple Lossless. I don't have any of those, so I don't follow those
events, but one of the developers (andyg) has reported that the ALAC
decoder in the Touch is buggy, so SBS uses transcoding on the server
when possible (see this thread for a little info, search the forums for
more: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84823). So it's
possible that your NAS isn't able to transcode enough of the track in
the < 10 seconds before it starts playing the first track. Does the
same thing happen if you are in the middle of a track and then skip to
the next track?

--
aubuti