aubuti;629065 Wrote:
> Depending on what country you're in that could be a little dicey from a
> legal standpoint (civil copyright infringement in some places), but
> that's a separate matter.

I know it's a digression, but I don't see any copyright issues, myself:
I had the legal right to rip my own CDs and I can't imagine I had the
duty to destroy those copies simply because I sold the CDs, but I
haven't actually researched that issue; it just sounds crazy to me.
But anyhoo ...

> Any particular reason for using Apple Lossless? If not, then you could
> batch convert from ALAC to FLAC and there wouldn't be any loss in music
> quality, because lossless is lossless. If you want ALAC for an iPod or
> something then that's not a solution for you, but otherwise there
> aren't any drawbacks. You can just set a computer going on your ALAC
> library and check back when it's done. There are various software
> packages that can do it.

I have considered that, and I'm not too reluctant to try it, but then
what would I do with putting music on all our iPods?  iTunes (for PC)
doesn't support FLAC, does it?  I wanted one type of file that I could
use on all our devices and our home music server.  If there's a way I
can use FLAC and still transfer music to our iPods easily, then I might
consider that.  Or I could simply maintain two sets of the music files I
guess, and rip everything new twice ...

Fyi, SBS does the volume control. By default, decoding is done on the
player (eg, Touch) for codecs that the player can natively decode, and
on the server for other codecs. You can also override those settings to
decode on the server instead of player. In your case, because the ALAC
decoder on the Touch is buggy, the decoding is done at the server. I
have no idea if/when ALAC native will ever lose its greyed out status,
but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Dang.  Weird.  SBS is really a new concept to my small brain.

I wonder if I should get a better NAS?  This sucks, worrying about
recoding all my music or replacing more gear.  :(  Oh, well, every time I
switch to new gadgets I wind up giving myself a lot of headaches like
this.

--
Zonker92