Zonker92;629074 Wrote:
> I'll stand by my quote above as for US law being unclear on this issue,
> but I know the laws vary from country to country.  Honestly, I had
> never even considered the issue before, it just seemed so obvious to
> me, even though I am a lawyer. But now that I consider it I understand
> your position.
Thanks for the link to that interesting forum thread. US law is very
unclear on the matter, as von Lohmann himself admitted. Other countries
are very clear on the topic, in either direction.

Zonker92;629074 Wrote:
> Yes, if I can figure out which programs to use for that process, I may
> take that route.  I normally set iTunes to down-convert the files I put
> on our iPods anyway, for the reasons you say, but that makes synching
> painfully slow.
Lots of programs will do FLAC to MP3. Fewer will do ALAC to MP3 (or
ALAC to FLAC). A couple good ones are dBpoweramp (www.dbpoweramp.com)
and foobar2000 (www.foobar2000.org).

Zonker92;629074 Wrote:
> And just leave it running 24-7?  That's cool.   Could I just throw one
> of my NAS hard drives into it?  What OS do you use on it?
Yep, 24/7. Or use the ServerPowerControl plugin and have it
automatically go into suspend mode after all Squeezeboxes have been
inactive for X minutes. Then wake the server back up via the Touch,
which sends a Wake-on-LAN packet to the server.

As long as the size and interface of the NAS hard drive is compatible
with the pc, no problem transferring the drive from the NAS.

I chose Debian Linux for my box because (a) I think *nix is a lot
better than Windows for set-and-forget server applications like SBS,
and (b) the price was right (free). Initially I was using Ubuntu Linux
on the box.

--
aubuti