If your NAS has a utility like 'top' you could check to see if the CPU
is pegged at 100% when trying to get that first track transcoded and
out the door. If I recall correctly, that NAS's CPU doesn't do floating
point operations, which could be another constraint for transcoding,
though I don't know for sure. I have no idea if an external DAC will
help -- I don't know enough about if/how that affects the decoding
process.

One other test to consider: make FLAC copies of one or more of your
ALAC albums and see if you have the same problems when you play
it/them. Send the stream as FLAC to be decoded natively on the Touch.

--
aubuti