aubuti;629072 Wrote:
> I'm not a lawyer, but I have researched it some. In some countries
> buying the CD only gives you a license to listen to the music, and you
> transfer that license when you sell the CD. I'm no fan of the
> music/entertainment corporations, though I am a fan of many artists.
> From a copyright standpoint it's no different from the original Napster
> or unauthorized distribution of copyrighted content via torrent. But as
> you say, that's a digression.

I'll stand by my quote above as for US law being unclear on this issue,
but I know the laws vary from country to country.  Honestly, I had never
even considered the issue before, it just seemed so obvious to me, even
though I am a lawyer. But now that I consider it I do now understand
your position.

> What many of us do is keep one lossless copy for home use and a lossy
> copy (like MP3 or AAC) for portable use. ... Rip once to lossless, then
> you have a perfect copy you can use to create parallel lossy library.

Yes, if I can figure out which programs to use for that process, I may
take that route.  I normally set iTunes to down-convert the files I put
on our iPods anyway, for the reasons you say, but that makes synching
painfully slow.

> the client/server model still applies in many ways.

OK; that's starting to make sense now; thanks.

> I would recommend a low-end Intel Atom-based pc instead.

And just leave it running 24-7?  That's cool.   Could I just throw one
of my NAS hard drives into it?  What OS do you use on it?

--
Zonker92