Zonker92;629068 Wrote:
> I know it's a digression, but I don't see any copyright issues, myself:
> I had the legal right to rip my own CDs and I can't imagine I had the
> duty to destroy those copies simply because I sold the CDs, but I
> haven't actually researched that issue; it just sounds crazy to me.
> But anyhoo ...
I'm not a lawyer, but I have researched it some. In some countries
buying the CD only gives you a license to listen to the music, and you
transfer that license when you sell the CD. I'm no fan of the
music/entertainment corporations, though I am a fan of many artists.
>From a copyright standpoint it's no different from the original Napster
or unauthorized distribution of copyrighted content via torrent. But as
you say, that's a digression.

Zonker92;629068 Wrote:
> I have considered that, and I'm not too reluctant to try it, but then
> what would I do with putting music on all our iPods?  iTunes (for PC)
> doesn't support FLAC, does it? I wanted one type of file that I could
> use on all our devices and our home music server.  If there's a way I
> can use FLAC and still transfer music to our iPods easily, then I might
> consider that.  Or I could simply maintain two sets of the music files I
> guess, and rip everything new twice ...
What many of us do is keep one lossless copy for home use and a lossy
copy (like MP3 or AAC) for portable use. Speaking for myself, I am sure
I can't tell the difference between lossless and decent-quality lossy on
my portable players or in my car. The quality of the players and the
lousy acoustic environments are the limiting factors there, not
lossless/lossy. In that situation, lossless files are just a waste of
disk space, and sometimes they run the battery down faster. And you
don't have to rip twice. Rip once to lossless, then you have a perfect
copy you can use to create parallel lossy library.

Zonker92;629068 Wrote:
> Dang.  Weird.  SBS is really a new concept to my small brain.
The origins of Squeezeboxes are slim devices, like the name of the
company that started them (before being bought by Logitech). The SBs
were just dumb clients, incapable of displaying the time of day,
changing the volume, etc without a command from the server. That
provided a lot of flexibility, including being able to improve the
player by upgrading the server software. The newer models (Touch,
Radio) are more powerful "smart" players, which is a big break from
that model. But the client/server model still applies in many ways.

Zonker92;629068 Wrote:
> I wonder if I should get a better NAS?  This sucks, worrying about
> recoding all my music or replacing more gear.  :(  Oh, well, every time
> I switch to new gadgets I wind up giving myself a lot of headaches like
> this.
You could get a better NAS, but these days I would recommend a low-end
Intel Atom-based pc instead. You can run it headless (no monitor or
keyboard), just like a NAS. They are generally more flexible, with more
computing power per $ than the typical NAS. And electricity consumption
can be comparable to a NAS, or even better if you employ power
management features that are standard on a PC but often missing on a
NAS. I put together a simple headless pc for under $300 -- and that was
2+ years ago, you could do much better now.

--
aubuti

Nothing high-end, but music anywhere I want it, and it's '100% wind
powered' (http://www.cleancurrents.com/). 'MSI single-core Atom
mini-desktop'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167032)
(Debian Lenny 5.0.6) feeding: Living room: SB Touch > 'NAD C325 BEE'
(http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier?products/hifi-amplifiers/C325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier)
> 'Vandersteen 1' (http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/1clit.html);
Kitchen/Dining: 'SB2'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050428023747/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
(http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6)
(http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio/rci/index.php?s=rc60i); Basement:
'SB2'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050428023747/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
> 'JVC JA-S44'
(http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204813) > 'ESS
Tempest LS8'
(http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/205237-ess_tempest_ls_8_speakers/);
Bedroom: Boom; Study: SB Radio; Backyard deck: 'SB Receiver'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20080124175538/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
> 'AudioSource Amp100'
(http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6)
> 'Polk Atrium 45'
(http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/atrium/index.php#atrium45); Kid's
bedroom: 'SB3'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20051210015952/http://slimdevices.com/)
> 'Klipsch ProMedia 2.0'
(http://www.klipsch.com.cn/na-en/products/promedia-ultra-2-0-overview/);
Roaming controllers: iPod touch with iPeng, 3 'SB Duet'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20080124175538/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
Controllers, 'Nokia N800'
(http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n800-r6); Limbo:one
more 'SBR'