Zonker92;629553 Wrote:
> Huh; never heard of that.  Do those programs clean up tags?
They don't do it automatically. I look at them as tools to help you
thoroughly inspect your tags and then you can clean up the tags. iTunes
also lets you view and edit tags, but mp3tag is much more thorough and
powerful, especially for looking at large chunks of your library at one
time. AFAIK iTunes only lets you do it a track at a time, and it doesn't
even show you all the tags.

Zonker92;629553 Wrote:
> That was my first impression, but if you look it seems to be saying it's
> having trouble reading the tags, not the music files.  It says things
> like "Unable to read at least 16 bytes from file (only read 8)"  I
> think that's a reference to the tag, but I could be wrong.
Normally the tags are _in_ the music files, and I assume that's where
yours are. And yes, the scanner is only trying to read the tags, not
the audio portion of the files.

Zonker92;629553 Wrote:
> Good call, and I know you suggested that before.  My only problem with
> that is, it means I have to re-scan again, and if it works I'll haver
> to go back and rescan all my files again.  If it doesn't, I could go
> back and rescan part or all in 7.5?  Seems like it might yield useful
> information quickly, but in the long run I'm still kinda screwed if
> it's not working right, unless it yields a way to fix the problem.  I
> thought that either way it would simply scan overnight so it was no
> skin off my butt.  But noooo ....
You will have to rescan your entire library again anyway, whether you
do it in 7.5 or 7.6. That last scan was a disaster, and any database
produced in the end is useless.

It looks as if there are some things about your files that the scanner
doesn't like. Certainly some (and likely all) of the problem is the
tags, as shown by the invalid replaygain tag error. Fixing that problem
means fixing the tags. So you can edit the tags on 20 files, rescan
those 20 files, and see if the errors go away. If they do, then apply
the same changes as needed to your other 25,683 files, and rescan the
whole lot. If the tag edit doesn't fix the 20 files, try a different
solution and rescan to see if that fixes.

Basically until you know what's actually wrong with the tags/files it's
an iterative trial-and-error process. Doing the trial and error on all
25,000 tracks instead of 25 known problem tracks is simply masochism.
And doing it on a ReadyNAS Duo is purely nuts.

And if your scans were working on 7.5, you may want to just go back to
that until the dust is completely settled with 7.6 beta.

--
aubuti