Glenn wrote:
> My faith is personal rather than doctrinal
> --centered in the Person of Christ.

Nothing wrong with you centering your faith upon the person of Jesus
Christ, but faith must be based upon knowledge, and knowledge comes
through both preaching and teaching.  Teaching is doctrine, so faith
also is based also upon doctrine.

Consider the following passages of Scripture:

2Jo 1:9  Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the DOCTRINE OF
CHRIST, hath not God. HE THAT ABIDETH IN THE DOCTRINE OF CHRIST, he hath
both the Father and the Son.
2Jo 1:10  If there come any unto you, and bring not this DOCTRINE,
receive him not into your house, neither bid him Godspeed:

What does the phrase "doctrine of Christ" mean to you?  How do you
understand this passage?  Doesn't this passage infer that our
relationship with the person of Christ comes about because of sound
doctrine?

Consider this other passage also:

1Ti 6:3  If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome WORDS,
even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the DOCTRINE which is
according to godliness;
1Ti 6:4  He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and
strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil
surmisings.

I realize that it is politically correct in these days to be against
doctrine in Christianity, but it seems to me that this is simply a
fulfillment of the prophecy that in the last days, they will not endure
sound doctrine but having itching ears, they will cling to teachers who
teach other things, such as this "free to sin in Christ - everybody
sins" doctrine:  "we are saved by faith alone, plus nothing, minus
nothing."  Clearly this "doctrine" which nobody seems willing to admit
is a doctrine itself, is not a doctrine found in Scripture.  It is a
doctrine propagated by men who twist the writings of Paul out of context
and use his words to say things which he never said by adding subtle
words like "alone" (not in your case, but in others who hold to this
erroneous teaching) and "plus nothing minus nothing."

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.